Yorba Linda History

Historic Documents

Search for specific termsBrowse alphabetical list of titlesBrowse by subject category

close this bookRancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden Collection
View the documentBotanic Garden and Herbarium Being Created in Santa Ana Canyon
Yorba Linda Star April 5 1929 page 1
View the documentMrs. Bryant Again Entertains Lemon Men's Club at Field Day Meeting
The California Citrograph June 1933
View the documentLocal Ranch is Sanctuary for Flora of State
Yorba Linda Star April 20 1934 page 1
View the documentPasture Fire on Bryant Ranch Burns 9 Hours, 160 Acres
Yorba Linda Star June 17 1938 page 1
View the documentRancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden Developing into Institution for Serious Scientific Research
Yorba Linda Star April 28 1939 page 5
View the documentCounty Home Makers Today Make Tour of Botanic Gardens
Yorba Linda Star May 5 1939 page 1
View the documentBig Grass Fire Covers 400 Acres of Bryant Ranch
Yorba Linda Star September 20 1940 page 1
View the documentFire Sweeps S.A. Canyon and Hills; North Edge Y.L. Singed
Yorba Linda Star November 12 1943
View the documentA Short History of the Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
by Philip A. Munz,
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden of the Native Plants of California May 1947
View the documentRancho Santa Ana Botanic Gardens to be Open to Public
Yorba Linda Star March 26 1948 page 1
View the documentBotanical Garden Opens to Public
Yorba Linda Star March 25 1949 page 1
View the documentBotanic Garden to Open to Visitors
Yorba Linda Star March 17 1950 page 1
View the documentBryant Ranch Tentative Tract Map Approved Following Council Discussion on Area Roads
Yorba Linda Star October 7 1978 page 1
View the documentControversial Bryant Ranch as Yet Remains Untouched
Yorba Linda Star March 23 1979 page 3
View the documentHistoric Home Subject of City Excursion
Yorba Linda Star February 29 1984 page 1
View the documentBryant Ranch Property: A Look at Its Past
Yorba Linda Star March 7 1984 page 3
View the documentSusanna Bryant Leaves Botanic Legacy
Yorba Linda Star March 14 1984 page 6
View the documentBryant Ranch Project Enters First Phase
Yorba Linda Star January 30 1985 page 5
View the documentBryant Ranch Slated to be Museum
Yorba Linda Star January 7 1987 page 1
View the documentYorba Ranch Building to be Salvaged
Yorba Linda Star February 4 1987 page 1
View the documentBryant Ranch House Museum Opens
Yorba Linda Star February 26 1988 page 3
View the documentRanch House has a History
Yorba Linda Star December 14 1995 page 8
View the documentBryant Ranch House to Vie for National Registry
Yorba Linda Star October 17 1996 page 1

Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden Developing into Institution for Serious Scientific Research

Yorba Linda Star April 28 1939 page 5   Open this page in a new window

Among the things Orange county newspaper men learned at the luncheon given them Saturday by Mrs. Susanna Bixby Bryant at the Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden is that for some time it has been improper to refer to the garden and the great colonial Spanish house, which stands on the shoulder of a hill above the Santa Ana canyon and overlooking the garden, as the property of Mrs. Bryant.

The botanic gardens of the native plants of California consists of about 200 acres, including bottom land, hill sides and hill tops surrounding the mansion-which at the rancho is referred to as the Administration building. This property, together with and endowment set up also by Mrs. Bryant, has been turned over to a legal entity known as the Garden Foundation-which is controlled by a board of five members. They are Allen L. Chickering of San Francisco, Mrs. Bryant, Stuart O'Melveny, Irving M. Walker and Earnest A. Bryant, Jr. Certain portions of the great house have never been reserved by Mrs. Bryant for her own use during her lifetime, but thereafter use of house and garden, as well as ownership, passes absolutely to the foundation.

Already an important feature of the institution is housed in the Administration building. This is the herbarium that contains over 22,000 pressed plant specimen and many supplementary collections of seeds, cones and wood samples.

Thus there is in an advanced stage of development an endowed institution with a serious scientific purpose, almost within a stone's throw of this community.

Soon there will also be housed in the Administration building a library of approximately 2000 botanical books and many periodicals, maps, photographs, and bulletins.

A major activity of the institution is fieldwork in California. A staff of trained botanists devotes a considerable part of each year to the making of field notes in various parts of the state, collecting specimen and obtaining seeds, roots, bulbs or other propagating material which is set out in the nursery, another important part of this institution.

A recent addition to the institution is an assembly hall where visitors may see flower shows and hear lectures, some illustrated with colored lanternslides. Last Saturday a considerable delegation of teachers of life sciences from high schools and other educational institutions from a large part of Southern California visited in the garden and attended the lecture.

Plantings in the garden numbered into the thousands each year. In the dozen years since it was founded by Mrs. Bryant the garden has grown to include over half of all the species of trees, and shrubs native to California, as well as scores of the finest perennials and annuals.

How thoroughly the place is dedicated to native flora one understands when he realizes there isn't a square yard of bluegrass or other kind of lawn about the great house. Research failed to disclose a lawnmower on the place.

to previous section to next section

Top of page