|Yorba Linda History|
|Home | Donations | Digital Collections | Map of Yorba Linda Historical Sites | Reproduction Policy | Timeline | Links to local historical societies | Yorba Linda Star index|
Chapter 7 - Yorba Linda's Early Settlers
Barton Family: John Barton and his family moved to Yorba Linda from Whittier in 1912. He was a contracter and a builder. He built Yorba Linda's first bank and a number of homes. His son, Hurless, built the town's first service station, which was called “Liberty Garage.” Yorba Linda's first park was named for Hurless Barton.
Buckmaster Family: Joe and Ella Buckmaster opened Yorba Linda's first hardware store. They also opened a garage and a blacksmith shop in about 1912.
Cannon, W.G. “Doc.”: “Doc” Cannon owned an old-fashioned drugstore on Main Street. During the 1920s and 1930s, his store was a gathering place for young people who would go there to buy soft drinks and ice cream. He lived in the rear of the store, where he answered emergency phone calls day and night. 
Cochran Family: Dr. Richard Cochran was one of Yorba Linda's first doctors. His wife, Ellen, was Richard Nixon's second grade teacher. Mrs. Cochran was also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Yorba Linda Library District.
Corbit Family: George Corbit and his family moved to Yorba Linda in 1910. They were the second family to buy land from the Janss Investment Company. George's son, Hoyt, was a member of the Chamber of Commerce and served as director of the Yorba Linda Citrus Association. Hoyt, together with Fred Quigly, also planted Yorba Linda's first orange grove. Hoyt's first wife, Mildred, was very active in the Federated Women's Club and served as its district president. Hoyt's second wife, Julia, was a world-famous photographer.
Dobashi Family: Joe Dobashi and his family moved to Yorba Linda in 1910. He grew tomatoes on the land where the Yorba Linda Country Club now stands. He used a wagon and a team of horses to haul tomatoes to markets in Los Angeles.
Eichler Family: Chauncy and Edith Eichler were neighbors of the Nixon family. During the early 1920s they bought some of the Nixon land and built a house. Edith was a schoolteacher for many years in the area. Chauncy was on the Board of Directors of the Yorba Linda Water Company. 
Kellogg, George: George Kellogg was involved in many community activities, including being a member of the Chamber of Commerce and the Board of Directors of the Yorba Linda Water Company. He was also active in the Imperial Highway Association, which was helpful in getting Imperial Highway extended into Yorba Linda. Kellogg Drive is named for him.
Knight Family: Ross Knight and his family moved to the Yorba Linda area in 1906. he was in charge of the Santa Fe Water Station and supplied water to a local oil company and Yorba Linda's first settlers. His son, Roy, was a zanjero for the Yorba Linda Water Company.
Marshburn Family: Dr. William Marshburn was Yorba Linda's first doctor. The Marshburn family opened a business called Marshburn Farms, which shipped vegetables worldwide.
Navarro Family: The Navarro Family was living in Yorba Linda before the Janss Investment Company began selling Yorba Linda land. Raphael and his son, Ralph, were zanjeros for the Anaheim Water Company, and they guarded a ditch that transported water to Anaheim.
Paine, Mabel: Mabel Paine was a teacher and principal for the Yorba Linda School District for thirty-two years, from 1915 to 1947. She taught the sixth, seventh, and eighth grades. One of the elementary schools in Yorba Linda is named for her. 
Pickering Family: The Pickering Family moved to Yorba Linda in 1910. Arthur Pickering served on the board of directors of the Yorba Linda Citrus Association and the Yorba Linda Water Company. He was one of the first avocado farmers in Yorba Linda. His wife, Cecil, was a member of the Yorba Linda Woman's Club and the PTA.
Quigly Family: J. M. Quigly and his family moved to Yorba Linda in 1911. He was the first zanjero of the Yorba Linda Water Company. He had three sons: Merlin, George, and Fred. Merlin built a number of houses and Yorba Linda's first blacksmith shop. George laid irrigation lines. Fred, along with Hoyt Corbit, planted Yorba Linda's first orange grove.
Shook Family: Ralph Shook and his brother, Roy, moved to Yorba Linda in 1911. Ralph served on the Board of Trustees of the Yorba Linda School District and the Fullerton High School District. He also belonged to the Chamber of commerce and was on the Board of Directors of the Yorba Linda Water Company for many years.
Vernon Family: The Vernon family arrived in Yorba Linda in 1911. Julia Vernon helped establish the Yorba Linda Woman's Club and served as its first president.
Welch Family: T. B. Welch served as the first president of the Yorba Linda Chamber of Commerce. His daughter, Gertrude, was Yorba Linda's first librarian. 
West Family: Eldo West and his family moved to Yorba Linda in 1911. He was the superintendent of the Yorba Linda Water Company and owned a lemon grove. Eldo's daughter, Jessamyn, became a famous writer. Her writings include South of the Angels, A Matter of Time, and Friendly Persuasion. Friendly Persuasion was also made into a movie and was nominated for six Academy Awards. A city park is named for her.
Whedon, John: John Whedon introduced the Fuerte avocado to southern California. In 1912 he purchased avocado trees from a nursery and planted them in Yorba Linda. However, the freeze of the 1912-13 winter killed them. The nurseryman was unable to make a refund, and instead offered to substitute a new variety that had been grown in Mexico. Whedon accepted the trees, which the nurseryman had named Fuerte, the Spanish word for “strong”.
The trees turned out to be ideal, not only for their ability to survive cold weather, but for their quality. People all over southern California liked the Fuerte avocado, and Whedon was the only farmer growing it. Since avocados must be budded to produce fruit, he sold the buds from his trees to other farmers. Today, many of the Fuerte avocado trees growing in southern California are related to the trees Whedon grew. Some of the original trees he planted in 1913 still survive. 
Top of page