It was an afternoon to remember—one which seemed to capture the community spirit of Yorba Linda in its fullest, when well over 200 persons gathered at the simple but impressive dedication of Yorba Linda's new District Library building Sunday afternoon.
Out of town guests, librarians and board members from Orange County cities, along with the Yorba Lindans, heard Valdo Smith, president of the local board, give words of welcome before he introduced those who were leaders in making the contemporary and functional building a reality for present and future residents. They were Mrs. Roy Butz, librarian; Mrs. Ted Citizen, assistant librarian, and Miss Carol McKenzie, library aide. Also Mrs. Dave Crist and Mrs. Nels Allison, members of the board; Charles Wickett, designer of the building, Floyd Weaver, engineer, and E. J. Tyreman, contractor.
A major part of the program was the presentation of the mural created by Allan Hall, local resident and well known Southland artist, which was a gift to the library in memory of Robin Paul, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. G. Paul, Jr. Some 159 friends contributed to the memorial gift following Robin's death in August of 1958.
Hall explained the historical symbolism of the mural, which depicts the past, present and future of the Yorba Linda region. Covering a large area just inside the front entrance, the mural complements the warm colors of the library in hues of soft greens, corals and tans. The story of history and growth is represented in divisions or planes illustrating the three flags under which this area has been governed; Portola and his Spanish soldiers (one of whom was Jose Antonio Yorba) who first journeyed to this area in 1769; symbols of the area's industry, oil, citrus and avocados; the rich ranchero days; and the figures of an Indian boy, a Spanish boy and an American girl holding a book—all representative of the racial groups which have lived in Yorba Linda.
In expressing her thanks and appreciation for the many gifts and services to the library, Mrs. Butz mentioned the many local organizations that had given of themselves to make the building possible.
As he addressed the gathering, Harry Rowe, librarian of the Fullerton Public Library, commented that although library dedications are without fanfare and unlike openings of supermarkets, etc., they have profound and far-reaching effects upon the cultural and learning aspects of present and future populations. He complimented Yorba Linda on its splendid building and the fine community spirit which culminated in the dedication of the building and urged that the people of Yorba Linda continue to support the library and its board so it would continue to grow as a cultural center.
The flag salute was led by members of Girl Scout Troop 258 and a prayer of dedication was given by Rev. Paul Shugart. The Rev. Wimp Kurz led in a closing prayer.
Regena Gallienne entertained on the harp during the refreshment period which followed. Hostesses for the dedication were members of the Yorba Linda Junior Woman's Club, the Yorba Linda Service League was in charge of refreshments, and floral arrangements were by the Garden Section of the Yorba Linda Woman's Club.
to previous section
to next section